Secrets of cooking the perfect sauce demiglas
Sauces make the dishes smoother, more intense and brighter, but some of them are self-sufficient complex dishes. For example, Demiglas deserves special attention.
What is this sauce?
Demiglas is a classic dark French sauce that belongs to the category of basic sauce, that is, it is used for the preparation of others. Its name translates as “semi-ice,” and this is due to the fact that when cooled, the sauce acquires a jelly-like texture, resembling semi-frozen water.
Traditionally Demiglas is made from strong meat broth, calf or beef bones, meat and various vegetables, such as celery, onions, carrots. Spices, herbs and seasonings are added for the smell and aroma. The cooking technology is simple, but the process itself is long and rather tedious, since all the ingredients must be boiled in the broth for 20-30 hours.
Sauce Demiglas can be called not only tasty, but also useful, because it consists of only natural ingredients.Although some of the nutrients are destroyed during the long-term heat treatment, many of them persist, for example, selenium, calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, sodium, magnesium, fluorine, iodine, phosphorus, choline, B vitamins, and E, PP and N. Such a dish strengthens bones and vessels, restores the structure of tissues, promotes the formation of new healthy cells, normalizes the work of the nervous and cardiovascular systems, and leads to the order of metabolism.
How to make Demiglas sauce correctly? There is no single classic recipe, and each cook brings something different to the dish, so several ways will be described below.
Method number 1
To get a simple Demiglas, prepare:
- two kilograms of bones (it is better to use veal or beef);
- 300-400 grams of meat (any suitable, but not very fat);
- medium onion;
- one carrot;
- about four to five liters of water or broth (vegetable or meat);
- 100-150 grams of celery (use both stems and greens);
- some vegetable oil;
- salt, ground pepper and any flavored spices.
Description of the cooking process:
- Bones and meat should be baked in the oven, so that they darkened and acquired a brown shade.
- Remove carrots and onions and cut them, wash celery and cut them, for example, with rings or cubes.
- In a frying pan, heat a small amount of oil, fry all the crushed vegetables on it, so that they turn out to be an obvious golden color.
- Next, in a large saucepan, place the bones with the meat and all the vegetables. Put the container on the fire and roast the mixture for at least 6-7 hours.
- Strain the strong and rich broth, put it back on the fire and boil until thick (determine the density level independently) for twenty to thirty minutes. Ten minutes before turning off the fire, add salt, seasoning and pepper.
Using this recipe, you can prepare a spicy and fragrant sauce.
List of ingredients:
- 2 liters of meat broth;
- kilogram of bones (it is desirable that they were the remnants of meat);
- half a pack of butter;
- half a glass of wheat flour;
- two tablespoons of tomato paste (optional);
- three tablespoons of sunflower oil;
- half a glass of dry red wine;
- three bay leaves;
- sprig of thyme;
- three pea carnations;
- a few sprigs of dill;
- In a deep frying pan or in a saucepan with a thick bottom, melt the butter, add flour, whisk the mixture with a fork and fry until golden brown.
- Peel and chop the onion, wash the carrot and chop it in any way.
- In another skillet, warm the vegetable oil well, fry the chopped vegetables on it.
- Send the meat bones to the oven preheated to 160 degrees for a couple of hours so that they get a bit smoky.
- Pour broth into the pan with melted butter and flour, add the fried vegetables along with the butter, as well as the baked bones. Make a sachet by placing dill, bay leaf and thyme in a bag of gauze or cloth, put it in a boiling mixture. Boil everything until the volume is halved.
- Then strain the mixture and then simmer for half an hour on low heat, adding salt to your taste, and pour in the wine ten minutes before turning off the fire.
At home, you can cook an unusual version of Demiglas - mushroom. Ingredients:
- 1.5 bones with meat;
- three liters of water;
- 150 grams of dried mushrooms;
- three cloves of garlic;
- a glass of white wine;
- vegetable oil;
- Keep the bones in the oven for an hour at 190 degrees.
- Peel onions, garlic and carrots and cut them in any way, fry in oil until golden brown.
- Pour water into the pan, immerse bones, fried vegetables and mushrooms in it. Boil the mixture for at least ten hours.
- Now separate the liquid from the cooked ingredients, filtering it with a cloth or gauze.
- Put the liquid part back on the fire, add wine, finely chopped parsley and salt to it. Fifteen minutes later, the sauce will be ready.
- Do not try to speed up the cooking process by boiling over high heat, in which case the components will burn, and the sauce will not be saturated. It is important to prolonged languor.
- To reduce the duration of heat treatment, you can use ready strong meat broth.
- Use your favorite spices and seasonings to make the sauce more aromatic and rich.
- Demiglas should not be fat, so do not use for its preparation lamb or pork bones and meat.
How to store?
Ready sauce can stand in the refrigerator for several months, perfectly preserving all tastes.
How to use?
The sauce can be served hot immediately after cooking, but it is tasty and cold, in which it acquires a thick, jelly-like consistency. If you keep Demiglas in the refrigerator, then before serving, if desired, preheat it or serve with hot dishes so that it melts under the influence of their heat and becomes liquid.
Demiglas will be a great addition to soups, various meat and vegetable dishes, side dishes. In addition, from it you can cook other sauces.
Now you can get a little closer to the exquisite and high French cuisine by preparing Demiglas sauce.
How to repel energy vampire
Dark Chocolate Cherry Jam
How to get to Paris
Build or buy a house in the country
Anvil from a piece of rail