Phrases to reconnect with old friends - Free English speaking lessons #Friendshipday
How to Talk to an Old Friend over Instant Messaging
At some point in our lives, we all drift apart from friends. So what happens when we want to talk to him or her again? Online instant messaging is a great way to strike up a conversation with a friend you haven’t seen in a while. However, you also need to know how to move the connection to the next stage. Learn how to get reacquainted with an old friend through social media.
Finding Your Friend Online
Find out the person’s online information and request to add them.This can be done through chain mail, by asking other friends or by searching for them on the Facebook search bar or through a search engine. If you don't think the person will remember you, write a short note in the greeting box for the invite to remind them who you are.
- An example statement may be: “Hi, I’m not sure if you remember me, but we used to attend the same high school. I’m the girl that always turned red when called on in class!”
Have a look at the person’s profile.Check out their occupation, where they live, and their relationship status. Look at pictures. Find out what they're interested in, and see if you both have any similar hobbies or interests. Any connection points can fuel your messaging conversations and make things a little less awkward.
Wait patiently for an add.Once the person adds you, send your first official message. In most cases, you don’t actually have to wait until the person comes online to message him or her. You can send a message anytime and wait for the person to respond at their convenience.
- Maybe start off with something short and sweet like “Hey, I haven't spoken to you in ages! How have you been?”
Use the content on their profile to start a conversation.After the two of you have messaged back and forth for a short while, it can be hard to come up with interesting topics to keep the energy going.Also, be sure not to talk about yourself too much. But, at the same time, don't be afraid to include details about you every so often. Keep the balance right.
- Instead of asking a broad question like “What have you been up to?” be more specific by commenting on a picture or post and then moving over to instant messaging to learn more. For instance, if the person makes a post about their job, send a private message saying something like “Your job seems really interesting! What got you started in marketing?”
Making a Deeper Connection
Send an email message.If you are messaging the person from Facebook, his or her email may be listed on the profile. Once the two of you have gotten reacquainted, it is appropriate to transition to other forms of communication like email. Send the person a note letting them know how pleased you are to get back in touch.
- You can use email to pursue other ways to connect like asking for the person’s phone number or scheduling a Skype or Hangouts session to chat face-to-face.
Send something snail-mail.If the friend you lost touch with was a very close pal, it may be appropriate to send a package and/or letter to the person. Ask for an address and put something in the mail that boosts the connection between the two of you. It could be a postcard if you are traveling, or a small care package of nifty little things that the person liked when the two of you were closer.
Managing the Basics
Show authenticity in your motivation for reconnecting.Another factor to consider is your reasons for wanting to get back in touch with this person. Be honest with yourself about your motives. Are your motives genuine for trying to reconnect?
- For example, have you recently ended another friendship and are looking to fill the empty space in your life? If so, it may be best for you to wait until you adjust to the changes to see if you are still interested in rekindling the friendship.
Keep it casual at first.Any early interactions should be time-limited and pressure-free. This allows the two of you to keep it light and friendly while keeping expectations low of where things may go. Also, keeping things casual enables the two of you to decide how you want to move forward.
Be prepared for your attempt to crash and burn.Sometimes, trying to find a spark in an old friendship is hard. There’s a chance that it won’t go anywhere, and that’s okay. Don’t take rejection or failure for the connection to go deeper as a sign that there’s something wrong with you.
- People change. You two may not have very much in common any longer. Your friend may not have room for more friends with all the obligations he or she is juggling. Or, it may be hard for your friend to move past a betrayal or disappointment from the past. Whatever the reason, be proud of yourself for trying and keep moving on with your life.
QuestionWhat happens if it gets awkward?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThere will be some awkward moments when reconnecting with someone for sure. The best way to handle it is to address the "elephant in the room." Say something like "This is a tad awkward for me, but I'm glad we're doing this." More than likely, the person will agree about the awkwardness and you'll have something to laugh about.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I leave a message to an old friend?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerFind the person's profile and request to add them. Then, you can send messages.Thanks!
QuestionI have not seen this person in approximately 50 years, how will I start?CompartmentalizationCommunity AnswerWhether it be 1 year or 50 years, reconnecting with an old friend is not a problem at all! How you will start and how you want to approach the situation all depends on you. 50 years is a long time, but just remind them of who you are and see how it rolls from there. People who are Baby Boomers have since re-established their friendships with people from high school, and in their time there was no Facebook or Instagram or Twitter! Just be yourself with that person, and you will be fine.Thanks!
Video: How To Reconnect With Old Friends
Everything You Need to Know About Netflixs 2019 Line-Up
Annoying but Common Skin Conditions
The Weekends Standout Runway Looks--Straight from NYFW
Urban Outfitters Introduces A.P.C. Madras
Microwave Fudge Sampler
Rio De Janeiro Brazil
Find the Best Face Cream for You (At Every PricePoint)
My Off-The-Wall Divorce Movie Recommendation List
10 Ideas for Moms to Make Time for Workouts
How to Pack for a Trip to Montreal
Spray Painted T-shirt
How to Treat Conversion Disorder
VIDEO: Catch Our Edited Highlights From All The London Fashion Week Shows
This teenager’s story reminds us that mental illness doesn’t discriminate
How to File a Complaint Before Honble IT Adjudicating Officer Quasi Judicial Authority in India