How to solder a radiator?
Watch the video
In any modern auto cooling function perform radiators. In the car engine compartment there are two radiators - engine cooling radiator and air conditioner radiator. Like any equipment, they can fail and require repair. In the case of radiators, this is a crack in the surface leading to a leak. In this case, the question arises of where you can solder the radiator. It is better to contact the service. But sometimes, in the absence of this type of work on the service station, you can think about how to solder the radiator on its own.
Copper radiator repair
Let us consider in detail how to solder a copper radiator. Before you start, you should know that because of its high conductivity of heat, such radiators are difficult to solder. After all, the soldering temperature should be even higher. To achieve this effect, the soldering site is first cleaned and treated with flux. After that, blown with a building hairdryer.
- For accurate repair work, you need to determine the place of flow. To determine the point of damage and where to solder the radiator, it is necessary to fill it with water, after closing all plugs.Leaving uncovered is only one tube through which to supply air under pressure. Water will flow through the damaged area.
- If the flow is small, then the antifreeze can not be drained, and the engine itself can be heated and hermetically sealed with a stopper made of rubber through the neck of the expansion tank. During the cooling process, the volume of the antifreeze will decrease and a vacuum will form in the radiator, blocking the outflow of fluid.
- In the case of a large leak, the radiator should be removed and dried, after draining all the liquid from it. It is necessary to disconnect the electrical connector of the fan, hoses and electrical wiring.
- The place of future soldering should be dry, well-degreased and thoroughly cleaned. In place of cracks treated with flux, it is necessary to put tin.
- Having warmed up the place of a crack with a building hairdryer, you can begin to solder. In the case when the soldering does not remain on the surface of the radiator, it makes sense to re-clean the metal and re-process the flux.
- After you make sure that the crack no longer allows air, you can install the radiator in place. You also need to check the tightness of pipes and connections before turning it on.
Repair of aluminum radiator
Aluminum radiators are used not only in cars, but also in housing heating. They fail, like any other. And the most frequent breakdown is the formation of cracks.
You can try to fix such a radiator yourself. But given such an intention, it is worth knowing that aluminum is difficult to solder. An oxide film is formed on its surface, preventing tin from fixing on the metal. Let us consider in detail how to solder an aluminum radiator
- The place for soldering should be carefully prepared. It must be cleaned, to do this, use sandpaper. And do not try to remove the oxide film, it will not give results.
- Take an additional crucible and melt the rosin in it. The mixture for use instead of flux will consist of two parts of rosin and one part of small iron sawdust. The mixture is used cooled.
- A rosin mixture is first applied to the aluminum surface, and the soldering point is rubbed by it with the help of a heated soldering iron. It must be ensured that the mixture is of sufficient consistency so as not to allow air in and to protect the surface.
- When the rosin begins to spread on aluminum, it is necessary to add a standard tin-lead solder with the addition of iron filings.Thus, the sawdust destroy the oxide film, and the soldering can be carried out in a standard manner.
- In the case of a large crack, it makes sense to achieve a high strength seam. For these purposes, a mixture of tin and bismuth is used. 95 parts of tin and 5 parts of bismuth are melted in a muffle furnace or a ceramic crucible. It will be solder for soldering.
- For a strong seam, use flux instead of flux. 56% of potassium chloride and 10% of cryolite, 23% of lithium chloride, 6.5% of sodium chloride and 4% of sodium sulphate are crushed separately. Then mix. Due to the increased absorption of moisture, the mixture should be stored in an airtight container.
- A smooth mixture is applied to the surface. It should be of sufficient density and in the amount of covering the entire soldering zone. After heating the surface with a soldering iron, soldering is performed directly using tin and bismuth solder.
Now you know how to solder a radiator. Video information on this topic will also be useful to you.
Jewelery with sapphires, emeralds and rubies in the Russian style
How to choose a lipstick
How to hem a towel for the kitchen
Poems for the Day of Family, Love and Loyalty - beautiful and touching congratulations on the holiday for mom, dad, beloved husband, friends and acquaintances
New fashion rules: what speaks of bad taste in 2018