Lotus Root Soup with Peanuts | Ling Ngau Tong | 莲藕汤 [Nyonya Cooking]
How to Make Lotus Root Soup
2 lotus roots, frozen or fresh
500 mL (1 pint) water
A few slices of ginger
500 g (1 lb) chicken bones or pork ribs
100 g (1/4 lb) of red dates
Bring the water to a boil.
Wash the lotus roots thoroughly, making sure there's no soil in the hollows.Then, cut the lotus roots into slices (1cm or 0.4" thick). Discard the ends.
Place the lotus roots, ginger, chicken bones, and red dates into the boiling water.
Allow the ingredients in the water to boil; then simmer for about an hour.The soup may be simmered longer depending on how tasty you would like it to be (see Tips). A slow cooker can also be used.
Serve the soup in a bowl.You may wish to add a pinch of pepper to the soup for extra flavour.
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- To get the most aromatic flavour of the soup, leave it to simmer overnight. The soup should be thicker and taste sweeter.
- For a vegan variation, use mushroom stock instead of bones. Combine dry Chinese mushrooms or fresh shiitake.
- Other gelatin alternatives include: carrageenan, agar-agar, fruit pectin, and locust bean gum.
- Older lotus roots are better for soups.
- Always wash the outside of a lotus root in clean water before peeling.
- Lotus roots are grown in mud and should not be eaten raw because of the potential for parasite transmission. Only the tender root is sliced and eaten raw. The tough one as shown in the picture is only good for soup.
Video: Lotus Root Soup - 莲藕排骨汤 (Chinese New Year Dishes)
Video Games: Beneficial for the Brain
How to Clean an Infected PC
Move Over, Human Barbie: The Real Rapunzel Is Here
How to Improvise a Whisk
How to Take Care of a Land Turtle
3 Ways to Lactate
How to Organize a Basement
10Secrets ofSlenderness Known Only toFrench Ladies
25 Best Long Hairstyles For Women Over 40
Color Loss in the Skin, Hair, and Eyes Are the Hallmark Signs of Vitiligo
5 Moves for Thinner Thighs
How to Use an Entry Level Metal Detector
Teach Your Young Man How to Shave
How to Care for a Parent With a Disability
Date: 06.12.2018, 20:34 / Views: 42275