How To Be The Perfect Boyfriend
How to Be a Good Boyfriend in Middle School
Being a good boyfriend is a bit more complicated than just buying the nicest things and saying “I love you” every day. It’s something you need to work on if you want a strong relationship. You have to do your best to make your partner feel special, listen, compromise and be affectionate.
Making Your Partner Feel Special
Take care of a sick partner.No one likes being sick, but a cold can be made a bit better when someone you care about is there. Go with them to their doctor’s appointments, bring them some soup; just be there to help them through it. It’ll show that you care, and that you’re willing to risk catching their cold in order to be with them.
Get them the best gifts.Good gifts don’t have to be expensive. Think about the things that they like and try to find gifts that fit within that. You might have to do some snooping around with their friends or family to find out what they like.
- Stuck for ideas? Make your own! Duct tape roses, a jar of love notes and baked goods are all great examples of personal gifts that don’t cost very much. They’ll appreciate the work you put into your gift.
Be attentive.Pay attention to the little things to show that you care! If they get a new haircut, tell them it looks great. If they’ve got a new outfit on, they’re probably hoping that you’ll notice it. Mention these things when you notice them and always in a nice way.
- If complimenting a haircut, think about specifics, like “I like what you did with your bangs.”
- When you want to compliment an outfit, try saying things like “I love that color on you” or “I love that skirt.”
Be nice with their friends.They’ve probably had their friends longer than they’ve been your partner, and there’s a good reason they’ve chosen to keep them around. You don’t have to be friends with them too, but you shouldn’t be mean to them or ignore them. Definitely don’t try to break them up.
- If their friends are mean or taking advantage of your partner, then you should talk about it with an adult.
Avoid flirting with other people.Your partner might think you don’t care about their feelings, or about the relationship! It’s not like you need to stop talking to everyone else, but if you're constantly smiling and touching someone else, then your partner might feel hurt.
Talking and Compromising
Let them know you’re thinking about them.Don’t be afraid of being random! It can be when you wake up, before you go to bed or when you’re doing homework. People love to know that they matter to someone else!
- One of the best ways to do this is to send a quick text. It doesn’t have to be anything more complicated than “Thinking of you. :)”
Listen to them.No matter what they’re talking about. They may want your opinion, or just want to know that you care about what bothers them. You don’t need to listen like they’re your teacher and you’re taking notes for the test, but pay attention. Ask questions and comment sometimes to show that you’re listening.
- If they’re talking about a problem with a friend, you can ask questions about their history, or their motivations.
- General comments, like “I can’t believe it!”, “Tell me more about that” and “I see” show that you’re listening.
Forget about winning arguments.That’s not to say that you should always agree with what they say, but you shouldn’t be trying to win. Be nice, and always try to fix the problem instead of just wanting to be the one who’s right. This shows that you’re mature and care more about fixing a problem than just winning.
- A common argument in middle school is how often you see your partner. Instead of trying to just get what you want, try to find a middle ground that works for both of you.
Give your partner their space.It’s easy, especially in a new relationship, to want to spend as much time with your partner as possible. You have to try and let your partner do their own thing. Strike a balance between letting your partner enjoy their hobbies without you and getting some quality time together. This will create a more trusting relationship with less negative feelings.
Be physically affectionate.Hold hands when you’re together. It’s a simple touch that creates a physical connection reflecting your emotional connection. It makes them feel loved and shows you’re not afraid to be public with your relationship.
- Other ways to be affectionate include putting your arm around their waist, hugging them and cuddling.
Come up with a cute pet name.Pet names make for closer relationships. It gives a specific word or expression a meaning that’s only known to the two of you. It’s cute and shows you care.
- You can use cute pet names like honey, cutie or sweetheart. Feel free to come up with your own!
Give them a compliment.It doesn’t have to be the most creative compliment in the world; it’s much more important to know the right time for a compliment. Just a simple “You’re beautiful” does wonders when they’re not feeling her best.
- Try to avoid always complimenting their appearance; compliment them on aspects of their personality that make them special.
- You can compliment their nurturing side, their kindness or intelligence.
QuestionI'm too shy to call her beautiful. What should I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou need to beat that shyness. A simple compliment goes a long way; just do it!Thanks!
QuestionMy friend has a gf that I kind of want to like. They recently had a date. My friend doesn't want me to know what happened, but someone already told me. What should I do with my friend and possible gf?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerLet your friend pursue this girl; getting involved because you like the girl is not being a good friend.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if she is unsure about dating you? How do you convince her that you would make a good boyfriend? What if her ex was a jerk and she is scared and doesn't want to be hurt again?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerJust be yourself and be kind. She might come around. She might not be in the right place for a relationship, and if that's the case you have to honor it.Thanks!
QuestionMy girlfriend wants to kiss for the first time, but I want to keep it to hugs. What should I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerExplain that you're not ready to kiss yet. If she cares about you, she'll understand and won't pressure you.Thanks!
QuestionIf a boyfriend pressures his girlfriend for sex, what should you do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTell an adult! Not only is this extremely cruel behavior, but it could be sexual assault or rape! Tell an adult you trust, and they'll help you handle the situation.Thanks!
QuestionWhat do you say when you are on the phone with her?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThere's nothing specific that you need to make sure you say; it's a conversation, not a checklist. Just talk!Thanks!
QuestionI'm in the seventh grade am I too young to kiss a girl?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThere's no age to kiss a girl, but if you're asking the question you might not be ready. That's ok!Thanks!
QuestionI'm a little clingy and our relationship has kinda lost its "WOW" stage. Is there anything I can do to get it back?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerGo for something out of the ordinary. Shake up your routine and try something new.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I know if she is comfortable with me doing these things?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTalk to her! No one knows better than her.Thanks!
QuestionIs it ok to have a relationship with a person that is 3 years older than you?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThere's nothing specifically wrong with that kind of age difference unless it's against the law. For example, a 19 year old dating a 16 year old might be illegal in some jurisdictions.Thanks!
- Stand up for your partner if someone’s talking behind their back.
- Part of good communication is not keeping secrets; talk to your partner.
- Take them to any dance at your school.
- There’s nothing wrong with a bit of light teasing, as long as it’s not excessive.
Video: 10 Signs He'll Be A GOOD Boyfriend
Dukan Salmon and Broccoli Tabbouleh
Easy Escapes: Austin, Texas
Kim Kardashian Shut Down Sharon Osbourne For Calling Her A Ho Over Nude Photos
How to Compliment Someone Who Had Plastic Surgery
12 Pretty Shades of Platinum Blonde Hair
The Under-5 Wonder Concealer Youve Never Heard Of
How to Plant Weeping Willow Trees
How to Change Your Style
Youd Never Guess THIS City Has So Many Amazing Locally-Owned Fitness Studios
Why Fit Guys Can Still Eat Pizza
How to Keep a Dream Alive
5 Ways to Edit Audio