How can you lose weight with hypothyroidism?
Sometimes overweight is not the result of malnutrition, but health problems. For example, the weight is growing rapidly with the disruption of the functioning of the thyroid gland - hypothyroidism. But to lose weight with this disease is possible if you act in a complex and follow important recommendations.
Why does hypothyroidism increase weight?
Hypothyroidism is a disease in which there is a decrease in the synthesis of thyroid hormones (triiodothyronine and thyroxin). The thyroid refers to the organs of the endocrine system and affects the work of the whole organism and the processes occurring in it. In particular, it provides a normal metabolism.
If thyroid hormones are produced in insufficient quantities, metabolism slows down. But at the same time the body's need for energy remains at the same level, because of which energy reserves simply do not have time to be spent and are transformed into body fat, contributing to weight gain.That is, the main cause of weight gain in hypothyroidism is the slowed-down amount of substances due to the lack of hormones.
For your information! Excess weight is not the only symptom of the disease, there are a number of others: a decrease in body temperature, a feeling of cold, soft tissue swelling, shortness of breath, disruptions of the menstrual cycle in women, problems with libido, reduced potency in men, weakness, apathy, increased fatigue, thinning nails , fragility and hair loss and others.
Important principles of weight loss
How can you quickly get rid of extra pounds with hypothyroidism? The answer to this question worries many people suffering from the disease. But immediately it is worth noting that rapid weight loss is problematic and harmful to the body, so do not expect quick results. It is important to be patient, have a positive attitude, set a goal and act in a complex way. The basic principles of weight loss with insufficient production of thyroid hormones are discussed below.
Competent treatment of the disease
The first important steps that should be taken on the way to a slim figure are to visit an endocrinologist and be examined to find out or confirm an accurate diagnosis.The specialist will prescribe blood tests for thyroid hormones, such as T4, TSH, T3. To assess the condition and structure of the body, an ultrasound examination is recommended. Additional diagnostic procedures may also be required - lipidogram and determination of the concentration of antibodies to thyroid-stimulating hormones.
The treatment of the disease is carried out strictly under the control of an endocrinologist, who, taking into account the results of the examination, must select effective drugs and their correct dosages, as well as draw up a treatment regimen. In hypothyroidism, hormone replacement therapy is usually prescribed to increase the amount of missing hormones, iodine preparations to normalize the functioning of the thyroid, and symptomatic treatment to eliminate the associated unpleasant symptoms.
Important in hypothyroidism is proper nutrition, which should help not only reduce body weight, but also improve health and normalize the functioning of the thyroid gland.
To begin, consider the product groups that should not be consumed:
- products that inhibit the production of thyroid hormones: many varieties of cabbage (Brussels, white, broccoli, Peking), soy, onions, turnips, rutabag, peanuts, spinach and other greens;
- flour products (firstly, they contribute to weight gain, secondly, they contain gluten, which is undesirable for hypothyroidism);
- salty, pickled dishes (they provoke fluid retention in the body, which will aggravate the edema that occurs in case of illness);
- simple carbohydrates provoking a rise in the level of glucose and flowing into fat stores (all kinds of confectionery, fast food, sweets, white bread, fried potatoes, pasta from soft wheat varieties);
- fats of animal origin: fatty meat, bacon, lard, butter, fatty cream or sour cream;
- Alcohol increases the appetite and has a toxic effect on the entire body, including the thyroid.
Now the list of what can and should be included in the menu:
- products containing complex carbohydrates (rye bread, cereals, pasta from durum wheat);
- protein foods: low-fat varieties of fish and meat, chicken eggs (in moderation);
- products,iodine-rich and beneficially affecting the work of the thyroid gland: feijoa, seafood, persimmon, sea fish, pumpkin seeds, buckwheat, low-fat dairy products;
- vegetable fats (natural oils);
- food rich in fiber: vegetables, fruits, cereals, vegetables.
Finally, consider the basic principles of dietary and healthy nutrition in hypothyroidism:
- Fractional power. Eat more and in small portions. The optimal frequency of meals is 4-6 times a day, the normal portion size is about 150 grams. Such a diet will not only not experience hunger during the day, but also improve metabolism.
- The distribution of fats, carbohydrates and proteins by time of day, their correct compatibility. So, it is desirable to use fats and carbohydrates in the first half of the day so that they have time to spend on energy production. In the second half of the day, lean on squirrels. Remember that fats are poorly combined with carbohydrates, but perfectly absorbed in combination with fiber.
- Do not starve or follow strict diets. If less than 1200 kilocalories per day is ingested, he will take it as stress and go into a saving mode, in which all the energy will be stored in reserves. As a result, the weight will begin to grow.
- Drinking mode.Although edema may occur during hypothyroidism, it is not worth reducing the amount of fluid. Use at least 1.5 liters of water a day to accelerate metabolism, maintain stable kidney function and prevent dehydration of skin and other tissues (from moisture deficiency they grow older faster).
Diet should be supplemented by physical exertion, but they must be approved by the attending physician. In addition, intensive training for hypothyroidism will not work, and it should be remembered. But moderate loads will be useful not only for body weight, but also for health.
The best option is aerobic training, in which oxygen is actively consumed, accelerating the metabolic processes occurring in all tissues. These include light running, brisk walking, aerobics, fitness, cycling. Do two or three times a week for half an hour. But if you are not familiar with sports, and the level of training leaves much to be desired, start with a minimum and gradually increase the load. And do not exercise to exhaustion: you should feel a slight fatigue, and not a desire to fall and lie down.
Hypothyroidism is not a sentence, and it can be treated.In addition, with the disease it is quite possible to acquire harmony, if you follow the prescriptions of the doctor and the advice given in the article.
Delicious dishes from affordable hake
Simple fabric for chain mail
How to count carbohydrates
Why do some people piss us off and what to do about it
Can baby banana
5-year-old daughter Beyonce dances like mom
How to quickly open champagne