Decaffeinated coffee: drink or not?
Many of us love coffee very much and simply cannot imagine their life without this fragrant, invigorating drink. But caffeine, as many believe, is harmful. And what will happen if you use decaffeinated coffee? Is it useful?
A bit of history
For the first time that coffee can be consumed almost without caffeine, we learned at the beginning of the last century, when a ship carrying coffee beans got into a storm. The grains are soaked, and some of the caffeine from them has evaporated, but the taste is preserved.
In 1930, an advertising campaign was launched in the United States that made this drink quite popular. A world-wide fame drink acquired a little later, when in the course of research it was proved that caffeine is bad for the heart. Today, caffeinated coffee is chosen by many.
How is caffeine removed from coffee?
What is the difference between decaf coffee and the usual? Low in caffeine. It is not possible to completely remove such a component, but it is possible to make its quantity minimal. There are several ways to decaffeinate (remove caffeine).
The first stage of any method is soaking green grains in hot water.They swell, open up, and part of the caffeine is removed. Then follow one of the following paths:
- Solvent use. After soaking in hot water, the grains are immersed in a solvent, then again into hot water to dry. It is worth noting that such a solvent, firstly, is dangerous to health, and secondly, changes the taste of the grains for the worse.
- The second method involves the use of only hot water. Grains are soaked in this water for a rather long period of time, due to which not only caffeine is removed, but also aromatic and taste properties. Then the water is passed through the filter, which remains caffeine. But the taste, in fact, remains in place. In this water (heated) immerse the next batch of grains. And now only caffeine is removed from these grains, but the taste remains in place. This drink is quite expensive because of the high cost of production.
- The third method of decaffeination uses carbon dioxide - compressed gas. First, the grains are soaked in hot water, then in water with the addition of gas. Carbon dioxide in this case plays the role of a solvent. The process itself is quite long and takes about 10 hours.Caffeine is removed, but the taste and aroma remain in place.
As for the variety of coffee beans themselves, arabica is most often used.
Advantages and disadvantages
Undoubtedly, decaffeinated coffee has its advantages and disadvantages. Let's start with the pros:
- Since caffeine can contribute to an increase in heart rate and thereby increase blood pressure, this drink is contraindicated in hypertension and some other diseases of the cardiovascular system. Decaffeinated coffee is safe from this point of view.
- Taste and aroma remain in place (if you buy a quality product), and the amount of coffee you drink can be increased. And yet you should not abuse it in any way.
- The benefits of coffee have long been proven. First, this drink invigorates and gives strength, especially in the mornings after waking up. Secondly, it was proved that regular and moderate consumption of coffee can reduce the risk of diabetes by 3-10% (when consumed 2-4 cups per day). Thirdly, during the tests it was found that the drink helps to improve memory and brain activity in general. So, for those who drank coffee, the sutra, memory and concentration of attention improved significantly.
Now list the cons:
- The invigorating effect is not as pronounced as that of ordinary coffee.
- If the coffee was made using a solvent, it can be harmful to health.
- This drink is more expensive than regular coffee, as the costs are greater.
- Taste and aroma may differ and yield to the usual habitual coffee.
- It is proved that such a drink can also cause harm to the cardiovascular system. The fact is that with the use of coffee without caffeine in the body significantly (by 17-20%) increases the level of free fatty acids. And these same acids are actively involved in the formation of harmful cholesterol, which can clog and constrict blood vessels and form cholesterol plaques in them, which contributes to the development of atherosclerosis.
- Decaffeinated coffee has a more significant negative effect on the digestive organs than regular coffee. So, when you use increases the production of gastric juice, which is dangerous for gastritis and ulcers.
- Both regular and caffeinated coffee are harmful to joints and bones, as they contribute to the leaching of calcium from the body.
Who can and can not?
So, who can drink decaffeinated coffee? In fact, people who can not drink regular coffee because of contraindications are turning to such a drink. With hypertension and other vascular and heart diseases, such a drink is permitted. Pregnant, with which caffeine can cause harm, it is also possible to drink decaffeinated coffee.
And yet there are contraindications. Atherosclerosis or an increased risk of its development from this drink will have to be abandoned, as with ulcers and gastritis.
How to use?
Coffee without caffeine should be consumed in the same way as normal. Coffee in grains should be boiled, soluble simply dissolve in hot water. If desired, add sugar, milk or cream.
As for the permissible daily amount, you should not abuse it, citing the lack of caffeine and the harmlessness of the drink. Quite enough 2-5 cups a day.
Since caffeine is still present, then drink should not be carried away before going to bed. In addition, do not forget about the diuretic effect, it has coffee.
Where to buy and how much does it cost?
You can buy decaffeinated coffee, in principle, in large chain stores. Since the drink is quite popular, it becomes popular and affordable. You can also go to a specialized coffee shop, there is a product for sure.If desired, a drink can be ordered via the Internet.
The price of this coffee is quite high when compared to the usual. Thus, a package of 250 grams will cost about 300-500 rubles.
Now you know all about decaffeinated coffee and can decide whether to buy it or not.
10 most interesting detectives
What is god
Delicious gooseberries for the winter - recipes blanks without cooking, five-minute jam, jelly in a slow cooker. Gooseberry Frost for Winter
A stylish idea for decorating a room: an original pillow with pompoms
What to do if the guy does not pay attention